It is sad that acne zaps the self-esteem from teens and adults that are suffering from it. They would rather not go out with friends, they try to hide in the background, use a lot of make-up in the hopes of disguising it. That often leads to depression and even sometimes suicidal tendencies. Acne, if untreated, will leave permanent scars and dark spots on the skin once it does go away. In this article I am going to differentiate the facts from the myths about acne!
Acne is caused by poor hygiene:
- Acne is not caused by poor hygiene or washing enough. In fact, excessive washing actually makes acne worse.
Squeeze the pimples:
- Leave the pimples alone!! Squeezing drives the p. acnes bacteria deeper into the pore.
Greasy and junk food cause acne:
- Although there are some links between diet and acne, the relationship isn’t quite what you may think it is. Greasy foods and chocolate does not have any impact on your skin!
Tanning beds clear up acne:
- If you’re looking for a reason to justify using tanning beds, acne treatment is not!! Studies have shown that UVA light does not benefit acne.
Acne goes away on its own:
- You don’t have to suffer silently with acne – there are treatments available to clear up breakouts and help prevent future ones. If left untreated, you risk permanent scarring and dark spots on your skin.
Only teens get acne:
- Approximately 30-40% of men and women experience acne. Sometimes acne even starts in adulthood.
Pimples happen overnight:
- Acne is a complicated process. It may have surfaced while you slept but here are the events that occur:
- Excess dead skin clogs the pore
- Over production of oil
- Over growth of p. acnes bacteria in the pore
- Inflammation as a reaction to the bacteria and its by products
Fortunately there are ways to treat acne without harsh medications or antibiotics. Using a great cleansing system that includes a toner and treatment which contain benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid like Obagi’s Clenziderm system clears it up quickly. For moderate to severe cases, extractions by a doctor and the use of an Isolaz laser is a great treatment. Chemical peels available in a doctor’s office will also treat acne as well, especially on the back and chest.
Waiting for acne to clear on its own can be very frustrating. Without treatment, acne will cause permanent scars and can lead to low self-esteem, depression and anxiety. Sometimes it leads to suicidal tendencies in teens.
To avoid these possible outcomes, doctors recommend that you treat acne! When the skin clears, treatment should continue as it prevents new breakouts. Be the clear and confident you – that you deserve!!